Five years ago Tom and Sarah Lord arrived at Water Colour in Redhill to take a casual look around after their plans fell through on buying and fixing up an old property.
But fast forward to early 2013 and the professional couple will have moved with their daughter into their second home on the development – which Sarah said they “fell in love with” during that first visit in 2007.
Water Colour appears as a lakeside village offering peace and quiet with its wide, sunny streets, cycle paths and walkways crisscrossing 7.5 acres of open space featuring communal gardens, canals, reed beds, fountains and a stream.
From their first three-bedroom townhouse, Tom and Sarah have used Linden Homes’ Part Exchange scheme to up-scale into a four-bedroom, four-storey end-of-terrace property giving extra space for the family.
The couple moved back from Dubai in August, where for three years they spent a lot of their time because of 38-year-old Tom’s work as a director for a large international hotel company.
Upon returning to the UK they knew that they would need to move, but Sarah explained: “We did not want to leave the Water Colour development, we loved it so much.”
So when the designs of the latest phase of new homes caught their eye, they decided to strike while the iron was hot and buy with Linden Homes for the second time.
Sarah, a partner of a Mayfair-based wealth management firm, added: “The location is great because it’s close to airports and we both work in London. That’s why Water Colour works so well for us: I go by train and Tom drives round the M25.”
She recalled: “When we originally moved to Water Colour five years ago we liked it partly because of the lake but more importantly the design of our house and the overall layout.
“We were very early on at Water Colour but the plans for the site were very appealing: it was the Linden Homes’ design and its location close to London but also with the countryside on our doorstep and so close to the station.”
Water Colour’s spacious homes comprise one and two-bedroom apartments and two, three, four and five-bedroom houses, with signature design in collaboration with one of the country's leading architects, London-based John Thompson Partnership.
“You do get that sense of the countryside with the lake there,” continued Sarah. “It’s really quiet and everyone is really friendly. Equally it’s quite convenient with the medical centre and the Tesco. There’s just everything that you could need within one well designed development.
“We have bought the new house with the view that it’s going to be our family home. Water Colour has a community feel and the majority of the people here are professionals.
“Part Exchange has made things easier. It meant that our property was sold in time to complete on the new one, and it took out the hassle of having to liaise with agents. It’s been cost effective with not having to pay the agents too.”
The scheme offers one quick, hassle-free agreement that takes out estate agents’ fees and the problems with chains which can scupper even the most secure-looking move.
Eligible home-hunters choose from a selected range and within seven days a valuation on their property will be made by three local estate agents and a cash offer made. The only thing left to do then is set a move-in date and get packing.
Central to Water Colour are facilities including a doctor's surgery, a vet and a Tesco, and beyond are Redhill and Reigate town centres, boasting shops, cafes, restaurants and a train station, linked to Water Colour by its own dedicated bus route.
The countryside surrounding Redhill includes the Surrey Downs with its glorious walks and views, while closer to home, and part of Water Colour, is 25 acres given to the Surrey Wildlife Trust to manage as a nature reserve with its lagoons, woods, wildlife and grassland.
The government-backed NewBuy 95 per cent mortgage scheme is also available at Water Colour, as well as Easy Start which lets you pay 85 per cent of the price now through a mortgage, with Linden Homes giving you a 10-year loan for the remaining 15 per cent.
To find out more visit the marketing suite between 10am and 5pm, call 0844 488 3797.
For further information, contact Lyndsay Scanlan or Sam Nickerson at Remarkable Public Relations on 01962 893 893.
17 January 2013
All images are used for illustrative purposes only and are representative only. They may not be the same as the actual home you purchase and the specification may differ. Images may be of a slightly different model of home and may include optional upgrades and extras which involve additional cost. Individual features such as windows, brick, carpets, paint and other material colours may vary and also the specification of fittings may vary. Any furnishings and furniture are not included in any sale. Please check with our sales representatives for details of the exact specifications available at the development(s) for each type of home and the associated prices.